Saturday 3 July 2010

21 Things To Think About When Turning 21

This was a present from my Mom on my 21st birthday, it is the most wonderful expression of love I have ever seen. She printed it out on Vellum, and it is now framed on my bedroom wall.




My daughter just turned 21. Now she's an adult in every way.

A few weeks before the big day, I wanted to find something I could give her that she would treasure. I knew we would have chocolate cake and ice cream. We would shower her with cards and gifts. But after the house was quiet and everyone was asleep, I wanted to leave her with something very special, that came from my heart.

I searched the web for what makes being 21 special, and most of it was so superficial, it engendered no hope at all, except for one very special page that I found.

So I made a list, a list of lessons no book or school will ever teach you. Lessons I'm still learning and lessons I hope will stick with my children.



21 Things To Think About When Turning 21

1. Learn to forgive. Hurtful things are going to happen to you. Learn to let it go. Carrying a grudge is like trying to climb Mount Everest with a boulder in your backpack. It weighs you down and holds you back.

2. Say "I love you" and say "I'm sorry." These really are the magic words. Learn when to say them, say them often, and mean it when you say them.

3. Be a child. Open your eyes every morning like you are opening them for the first time. Look closely at the world around you and find your place in it.

4. Never stop learning. Whenever you can, turn off the television and pick up a book. Take a class. Learn another language. Try something new. Travel. Explore the world around you. Exercise your mind.

5. Use what you've learned. You came into this world as helpless as any creature could be. But, by now, you should have most of the tools you'll need to survive and thrive. Make good use of them.

6. Lose your ego. You won't miss it.

7. Ask questions and question the answers. When you get the chance, ask a question. Search for the answers and when you think you've found them, look again.

8. Listen. Listen to music, to the birds and to the voices of people all around you. Listen to what they say and to what they aren't saying. Listen to the little voice inside you.

9. Never lose your self respect. It's the one thing you can take with you.

10. Hold a baby. Even if you never have one of your own, hold a baby in your arms now and then. Cradle them. Breathe the scent of a newborn. Think about the people who held you.

11. Practice gratitude. Look around you and count your blessings. Count them again.

12. Mind your manners. Make the world a kinder, gentler, place. And for heaven's sake chew with your mouth closed.

13. Get a job. Learn the value of hard work. You don't have to be rich or famous or powerful. You don't have to play sports or be a movie star. Just do what you love and do it well.

14. Make friends but choose them carefully. Surround yourself with people who lift you up. Avoid those who want to drag you down.

15. Take a leap of faith. Sometimes, that's all you can do.

16. Give until it hurts. Spend time with those you love. Share your thoughts and dreams. Give a little back to those who need it more than you do.

17. Learn the difference between fashion and style. Fashion is what looks good at the moment. Style is what fits you forever.

18. Try something new. Don't be afraid of change. Break out of a rut. When you get too comfortable, stretch a little to see what happens.

19. Hold on to tradition. Hold onto your history by keeping at least one tradition alive. Cook the family mac and cheese recipe. Tell old stories again and again.

20. Reach out and touch someone. Hold a hand. Give a kiss. Hug someone who needs it.

21. Never forget. Remember that you are loved with a love that knows no bounds. Count on that.





With appreciation to Cheryl-Anne Millsap

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/tools/story_pf.asp?ID=122967

1 comment:

  1. First of all, HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
    Second, your Mum seems awesome, just like You.

    If I'd only known, I'd have met you in my birthday suit and taught you to tie a balloon. Still can't find that red nose and my long flat converse clown shoes . . . .

    ;) didn't know you were less than 21. Not a problem as I don't like age prejudice the other way either.


    *Hugs *Kisses HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete